Monday, March 26, 2012

:: In Our Garden At The Moment :: Late March ::


Broad beans, I love them. Last year we had just enough to enjoy them fresh, and I am hoping for the same next Spring. I have all my Autumn/ Winter seeds & seedlings in now (except onions), and when I get a little more room, will add some extras in a succession planting concept. I would love to have my succession planting all planned out and done in perfect order, but it never happens that way. I do succession harvesting instead! Some things I harvest a little early, some a little late, and some on time. It's just that the garden is at an inbetween stage at the moment. I want to get a head start on my broad beans, peas, brassicas and especially the Brussels Sprouts this year, but there are still some lingering tomatoes coming in, and the last of the beans too. I am reading Sleeping Naked is Green at the moment, and she talks about Farch, a season in between February and March (don't Google Farch, by the way, unless you want to find the Urban Dictionary's version... not pretty). I feel like I am in Hanting, or Parvest. I want to keep harvesting, but I need to get planting. It's both happening and the garden looks a mess. But hey, my garden always looks a mess!



The last of the tomatoes, but they either have pests in them, or I imagine there is probably bugs in my Fried Green Tomatoes and can't eat them anyways! The chooks are getting these as a treat, they love them.


Six million tonnes of comfrey. It dies off in Winter, so I keep meaning to chop a heap of this out and either get around to making Christine's Comfrey Ointment, or putting it in the compost. I feed it to the chooks, after all, that's who I planted it for! They prefer the young silverbeet plants instead. Cheeky buggers.


Raspberries are going wonderfully. Every second day we get a handful or two like this. The Bowhunter has been eating them fresh, I add mine to my Kefir Yoghurt with honey.


Funny chooks. They are having a dust-bath, and when they do this, they lay on top of each other just about, kicking dirt under their wings and often in each others eyes. Princess Layer (the white chook) has one just about every day (I think she is a little vain, being the prettiest chookie), often in the bark mulch under the kids play area, and comes out filthy. Also rolling around with her is Tweet Tweet, though she is almost camoflagued, and Spotty is walking past, probably trying to get back into the action.


Still waiting on all these edamame to fill out so I can pick them (before they turn yellow, apparently). They seem really slow, but am really hoping they'll be ready before the first frost comes (in about late April/ May).


Granny Smith's still waiting to be picked, in April apparently. Hopefully they will be at least as good as the Red Fuji. The Red Fuji have all been picked now, they have been divine, and though they do have brown tracking through them from the grubs, the unaffected part is good to eat and make pie from. There was only a few Jonathon, which I picked already and may be a little too early.


This year I will do better with garlic. Can't do much worse than last year, anyways, when I got only two small heads. The year before I did OK, so not sure what I did or didn't do last year, or what conditions may have been different? This year I have them in a wicking worm bed, so that'll help for starters. I have planted bought garlic cloves, Germidour & Italian White. I have got spares in case these ones don't fair so well at the start, and in fact, I've already added some more of the Italian White.


The Scarlet Runner beans were furry when young (didn't seem very edible as 'green bean'?), then grew too big, so now I am letting them grow & dry on the vine. They got planted late, as the first batch failed to germinate and when I was ordering some more seeds from that company, I let them know and they sent me a new packet. I also have a few Purple King beans still being picked to eat fresh. I've got Rattlesnake beans drying on the vine (not as many as last year, sadly, of which we just finished off the other day, cooked in a nacho mix).


Come on, Lebanese Zucchini! This is the last zucchini I think (hope) I will get, and the other zucchini plants have been pulled already, having got overgrown/ straggly and powdery mildew on them.

How about you? Is your garden slowing down? Or are you just warming up for the next season?